Saturday, September 16, 2006

Promotion at Work

Architects are a funny breed. We are notoriously poor at managing our businesses. There are as many organizational forms as there are architectural firms. Many utilize titles such as associate, senior associate, associate principal. In some firms, those titles are essentially meaningless until the word "principal" comes into play. I used to work for such a firm. When you were licensed and showed some sort of loyalty to the firm, you were made an associate. In a firm of 250 people, all but the most junior people were either associate or above. It was a meaningless title.

My current firm has no such issues. Associate is only bestowed on those who are committed to the craft of architecture and to the firm as a whole. They are those who are on the track to bigger and better things with the firm and the principals recognize that. Associates are seen as the leaders of the firm and are expected to take a larger role in management of the firm. Each year, only a handful of people are promoted and it occurs in the fall following the principals retreat.

On Thursday, the two principals I work most closely with took me out to lunch. I have been promoted to associate after only one year the firm. It is quite an honor and I am humbled by the trust put in me. I knew this was the right firm for me from the start, so being recognized by the principals in this way, cements that this is the right firm for me. More importantly, I have only worked with three of the seven principals and they are the most junior principals at that. I have tried to get to know the other principals, mostly for political purposes, but apparently, they see my contributions anyway. The two did recommend that I seek out the founder and president of the firm and get to know him a little better. That's my task for the fall!