Saturday, March 20, 2010

Story Idea

I do a lot of writing. My mother is a retired English teacher-turned-high school guidance counselor. Books were a huge part of our home even though I didn't read much outside of school until I well into high school. My wife is voracious reader - she read 100 books in 2009!

Lately, mom has been working on a book with our Uncle Mike (he was married to my mom's aunt) about his life. He's an architect so I was asked to write a passage for it. I worked very hard on it and it sort of got my writing bug back!

I've been thinking about choices in my life. I'm extremely happy with who I am and with the choices that I've made, but with the aid of Facebook, I've been thinking about what would have happened had I made a few different choices. This has led me to a fiction idea.

I have no doubt that God's plan for me was to marry Amy and have our children. After that, was it God's plan to live in Maryland, work at Design Collective? I don't know.

This is sort of a science fiction kind of idea. There's a middle aged man, professional, happily married, several children - sound familiar? Anyway, he's approached to take part in an experiment with a time machine. He'll go back in time and make 1 different decision and see what happens. Will he meet his wife under different circumstances or will he fall in love with someone else? Will his career choice be the same or will he follow a different path?

That's about as far as I've gotten right now. More later!