Friday, March 03, 2006

Father/Daughter Dance

Just got home from the Girl Scout's Father/Daughter Dance. This is our 4th as my daughter is in 4th grade. I marvelled this year at how young & small the 1st grade girls look compared to my big girl. She's grown up & is so beautiful its hard to imagine...

We had a blast as usual. My best friend is the DJ & his daughter is in 5th grade. We dance a little, chat a lot, generally have almost as much fun as the girls! The highlight this year is the High School Musical soundtrack. Imagine 50 girls, ages 6 to 12, all singing and dancing in unison to a movie they've all seen at least 10 times. My friends & I can't believe that not only has every single girl seen it, they all know the dance moves and words to all the songs. Incredible!

Couple of funny things happened - this a Catholic school & Ash Wednesday was this past Wednesday. Most Catholics fast from meat on Friday's during Lent. The out-of-touch moms who organized the dance served spaghetti & meatballs Friday night! I let my daughter have the meatballs & I had just spaghetti with no sauce, although I think they had a meatless sauce. I'm not big on red sauce to begin with & then if it doesn't have meat in it!

Secondly, my buddy the DJ & his ex-wife LOVE to dance. They are quite good at it as well, ball-room type dancing with lots of movement. Anyway, he was teaching his daughter to dance more than the usual round & round in circles like the rest of us were doing.

Lastly, one girl whom I've coached at basketball & is a real sweetheart told me I dance better than her dad! I felt honored because he's a professional musician & even though I played percussion in school, he may have more rythm than I.